A Brave New World for Cirque du SoleilDon't miss The Globe and Mail's Cannes Lions seminar, A Brave New World for Cirque du Soleil.
Speaker, Mr. Daniel Lamarre, CEO and President of Cirque du Soleil, will share his insights and experiences on how brands, technology and entertainment collide to develop innovative consumer experiences.
Seminar date to be confirmed in the coming weeks. Visit the Cannes Lions Speakers page to see the other great creative thinkers that will educate and inspire this year's delegates.
Canada's Pride in CannesCanada enjoyed a record turnout at the 2012 Cannes Lions Festival, with 270 Canadian delegates representing 109 companies.
In 2012, our unique brand of creativity was showcased through 1,056 entries across 15 categories. And our enthusiasm did us proud – Canadian agencies stepped into the 2012 Festival Winners’ Circle 20 times - an increase from 2011’s 17 awards.
2012 Canadian Fast Facts
Many of these numbers are a significant increase for Canada compared to 2011, confirming our industry’s pride in its work and appreciation for the Cannes Lions Festival.
- 3.1% - Canadian representation of Cannes Total Entries – putting us in the Top 10 Category for total entries.
- #13 – Where Canada ranked on the 2012 list of Most-awarded Countries.
- 109 - Canadian agencies represented at the 2012 Festival (compared to the 80 represented in 2011).
- 300 – Canadians who celebrated at The Globe’s Canadian Beach Party.
- 4 consecutive years - Our young creatives/marketers brought home a Young Lions or Young Marketers trophy.
- 75 – Canadian entries shortlisted in 2012.
- 172 – Canadian Film entries in 2012 – our highest number of entries in a single category.
- 167 – Canadian Outdoor entries in 2012 – our second highest number of entries in a single category.
- 140 – Canadian Cyber entries in 2012 – our third highest number of entries in a single category.
2013 Canadian Cannes JurorsSix of Canada’s top advertising professionals have been selected as jurors for the 60th Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, taking place June 16 – 22, 2013.
The Canadian jurors include:
- JUDY JOHN, CEO, CHIEF CREATIVE OFFICER, LEO BURNETT – FILM JURY
- NELLIE KIM – CREATIVE DIRECTOR, john st. – CYBER JURY
- TRISH WHEATON – GLOBAL CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER, CHAIRPERSON, CANADA, WUNDERMAN – DIRECT JURY
- KAREN HOWE – SENIOR VP, CREATIVE DIRECTOR, one. – PROMO & ACTIVATION JURY
- JEAN-FRANCOIS BERNIER – PRESIDENT, ALFRED – RADIO JURY
- LARA PALMER - ART DIRECTOR/CREATIVE DIRECTOR, LAURA PALMER ADVERTISING CREATIVE – DESIGN JURY
Cannes will announce the Media jury selections at a later date.
“It’s an incredible honour for these talented individuals to be selected to sit on one of the 15 Cannes Lions category juries,” said Andrew Saunders, Vice President, Advertising Sales, The Globe and Mail. “It's a testament to their commitment to excellence and their devotion to redefining innovative communications in all its forms.”
2013 Cannes Lions FestivalCannes entry submission deadline has been extended to April 12.
Visit the Cannes Lions site for information about the 2013 festival, including how-to enter. And be sure to stay informed by signing up for the Cannes Lions newsletter.